Sunday, 3 January 2016

Hello from the End of the Year Slump

Original Picture taken from StockSnap
From the beginning of December all the way to the beginning of January, I am in the worst shape - mentally as well as physically. It happens almost every year. During a time when I want to be as productive as possible, I instead find myself curling up on the sofa every day doing nothing. 
I do want to fully immerse in my preparations for Christmas and get shit done, but compared to the rest of the year, I am the least productive. Maybe it is because my family was stricken with a lot of bad news during this time in the past 3 years. Also, I tend to be in a very nostalgic mood which makes me ponder the past instead of planning the future. 

No that 2016 has started, it is finally time to let go of this attitude and get back to work. I don't have any resolutions, just some important things that really have to be done soon:
1.  finish up my master's thesis
2.  find a job
3. maybe a move (because of the job)

To get back on track with my life I started my new planner/journal today, loosely based on the bullet journal system to organise my week. I started doing yoga again (with Adriene's new 30 days program) and I am determined to do whatever I can to stop being so passive when it comes to my own life. And this change starts with the little things I just mentioned. 

The worst thing you could probably do to yourself is getting lost in this negative spirale of doing nothing and letting your life go by while everyone around you seems to progress. This feeling of stagnation is horrible, often so intimidating that it paralyzes you even more. 
The steps to overcome this are in fact quite easy, but so very hard to take. The fear of failing and doing all the wrong choices can be very strong, but know that every little change makes a difference. They all add up, eventually, transforming the way you see and live your life. 

In general, a slump that lasts about a month is nothing serious. Sometimes, everyone needs a break. Time to unwind and just do nothing, simply because you want to. But while this feeling becomes very strong for me at the end of the year, it is nothing else but the intensification of something I have felt over the course of the entire year. 

All those times you postpone a decision, because you still have so much time, but it is May already;
Whenever you see a nice guy, but don't talk to him, because "he is taken anyway"; you bilk yourself of opportunities. 

Stop sabotaging your own life. Stop putting yourself down. 
You don't have to be perfect. 
You just have to try.

No comments:

Post a Comment