Tuesday, 1 September 2015

Thoughts on "Seriously...I'm Kidding" [Book Review]

Picture found on Goodreads - check for more reviews :)

Recently, I've been a lot into reading books written by witty and successful women (as apparently every other young woman on this planet at the moment). I've read the books by Mindy Kaling, Sophia Amoruso, Tina Fey, etc. While I do not think, that those books are pieces of high art, they are often very entertaining and give me some good advice along the way.

So, when I went to the bookstore a while ago (again) and I came across Ellen DeGeneres' "Seriously... I'm Kidding", I could not leave without it. After all, I am a big admirer of Ellen and her bubbly, positive personality. So, I assumed that this book would be one heck of a good laugh.

To make a long story short: I was a tad bit disappointed.
This book does offer some very funny anecdotes and I had to chuckle quite a few times, but sadly it was not as funny as I had expected. She uses a lot of enumerations to make a point and tends to stray off course quite a lot. While for a lot of people, this might be charming and fun to read, I prefer it, when people get to the point of the story. That's why I was not a big fan of  "The Longest Chapter".
A lot of parts of this book were predictable as well as repetitive.

However, this does not mean, that I did not enjoy reading it.
First of all, the chapters were quite short, so it was a very easy and quick read; perfect for travels or if you want to do a bit of reading before going to sleep. 
As I already said, books like this are not very complex pieces of literature, but what I really enjoyed about this one, is  the fact that Ellen DeGeneres is just as laid-back and easy-breezy in her writing as on her show. It feels as if she was sitting right in front of you and telling you all of her little stories. 
Man, I'd love to listen to that audiobook! Also, it is very refreshing to have someone, who can make a joke without being insulting or offensive.

So far, I'd say, that Mindy Kaling's "Is everyone hanging out wthout me?" is my favourite of the bunch so far, with Tina Fey's "Bossypants" as a runner-up (still have to reas "Yes, please" by Amy Poehler). While Ellen DeGeneres' book is a bit weaker, I'd still recommend it to anyone, who enjoys some lightheartedness and is in need of a good laugh.

No comments:

Post a Comment