Saturday, 15 August 2015

Finally growing up? (or: When people your age are getting married)

Original photo taken from unsplash
Last Saturday was the hen party of one of my best friends. She had recently turned 24 and she's been with her boyfriend (actually husband now) since middle school. They've been living together. They even have a dog. So, when they got engaged on New Year's Eve 2013, it was a s surprise, but it was something that just had to happen. Every time you seem them, you instantly think: "Those two just belong together." They are like peanut butter and jam or Sigfried and Roy (just with less sparkly outfits). 
That time, the wedding seemed so far away and then, last Saturday came. We went to an amusement park first and then dancing. It was the most amazing day, but seeing her with her floral headband and the veil just made me realize, that she was going to be a bride

Yesterday, she and her husband got married. It was a civil ceremony. So, it was just for close family members, but I was able to catch her afterwards, and she looked stunning. I could not stop staring at her. I started to cry almost immediately, when she came in, arm in arm with her husband - she was glowing. Next week they will have the ceremony at the church in the town where they were born. There will be tears, but it will be oh so wonderful. 

This is actually the first wedding among my close circle of friends, but during the past one and a half years, a lot of people I went to school with, got married. Being basically in my mid twenties, I guess, this is almost normal. It is an age I've always considered as mature, when I was still in school. After all, you are an adult now. And yet, here I am, amazed by the fact, that people my age, start making this kind of commitment towards another person. 

It feels as if everyone around me is really starting to grow up; starting their own lives and their own families and careers. For the past few years, I felt stuck in some kind of in-between-stage. I am not a teenager anymore, but I am definitely not yet a real adult (whatever this is supposed to mean, it doesn't feel like it) and most of my friends reported, that they felt the same. And now, one after the other, they seem to jump out of this in-between-mess and into adulthood. Leaving me behind?

In all honesty, I could not be happier for her. I am glad that she found someone to love and to trust, but it also scares the bejesus out of me, because if there is one thing, that I have always been afraid of, it's becoming an adult. But one can not stop the wheel of time. And in a way it is comforting to know, that life is not going to be a never ending repetition of middle school and high school - which sucked balls.

No comments:

Post a Comment