Wednesday, 1 April 2015

The Challenge of accepting Change

Original picture taken from unsplash
 Man is a creature of habit.

However, at times, we seek to break out of our daily rhythms to do something exciting; something new that will hopefully give our lives a twist into a slightly new direction. 
There are even people who deliberately choose to lead a life far away from your average 9-to-5-jobs, because they like the uncertainty, the "thrill" that comes with it. On the one hand, it means more freedom. On the other hand it stands for more responsibility

Personally, I am as boring and even scared as can be. When I started looking for a new part-time-job (well, cause university is not for free), I was terrified

Changes scare the shit out of me

I love having a clear plan of what is a about to happen to me. Of course, I enjoy the spontaneity of an unplanned meet-up with my friends, but bigger changes (for example a new job, a move) do not excite me. My instant reaction is panic:
"How am I going to deal with this? Am I able to do this?

Once I am comfortable with a situation, the people around me, the habits I have created, I start to ease into my life. I feel confident and secure. Of course, it is normal for people to become insecure, when they are thrown into s new scenario. It is a perfectly normal reaction. Things change constantly, and some people can cope with it better than others, because they see the positive effects a change might have on them.

I am not one of them. 
I knew that I would find a new job sooner or later. Still, I was afraid of the new environment; namely the new schedule, the colleagues, even the setting itself (I've never worked in retailing before). I've been at my new job for about a month now and finally things are starting to settle. My mind is finally calming down. 
Dealing with customers is becoming easier. The fear of doing something wrong is slowly diminishing. 
I am happy with what I do, and once I leave my workplace I feel like I have accomplished something. 

This feeling is good and strong at the same time.


Of course, it takes time to accept changes.
It takes time to adapt. 


This is just one of the smaller steps I have to take.
But every step I take forward leads to a new one, knowing that I can build on every experience I have made so far.This knowledge gives me the strength, as well as the courage I need to go on. 

How do you deal with changes?
Do you welcome them with open arms?

No comments:

Post a Comment