Friday, 31 October 2014

What Blogtober taught me [Blogtober 2014 #16]

Original Picture taken from Unsplash
 It's Halloween tonight. This means that we are facing the end of the month of October and with it the end of Blogtober. Because it is the first time that I actually commited to posting on a regular basis for a longer period of time I feel like sharing what I learned from this little challenge.

Planning blogposts
I already diminished the amount of blogposts for this month by cutting it in half, because I knew that 31 blogposts would be too much for me. This was supposed to be a challenge, but nothing to stress me out too much. However with 16 posts to write I had to do some planning beforehand nonetheless. I mapped out a few posts in advance, but I did not plan the whole month. In the end I was fine with this rough frame, but I have to admit that 31do  posts need a lot more organisation.

Inspiration/Motivation
Before starting this challenge I made of list of potential topics to talk about. Once October started I had a cheat-sheet with about 30 ideas already on hand, but I only used about 5 to 7 of them. Everything else was rather spontaneous - a bunch of sudden ideas.
My biggest worry was to run out of good ideas to write about and I am very glad that this problem never really occured to me. There was always something to write about.

Being on a schedule
To upload a post every other day turned out to be probably my best choice during this challenge. It kept me busy, but not to a point where it became stressful. Even though I always tried to publish content at least two times a week this schedule forced me to develop a steady working routine. I still had a lot of time for other things, but almost everyday I had to sit down and do something for my blog, too.
I guess that now that I am in the flow of things it would not be a problem to keep it going, but I encountered one major downside:

Losing sight of my writing priorities
Generally it was not difficult to come up with ideas, but towards the end of this journey I found that my priorities had changed. In order to publish my post on time I sometimes chose to write about something that has no deeper meaning to me just for the sake of uploading something. This doesn't mean that I was not satisfied with the way the text turned out, but it was not entirely me.
I like to read about lifestyle related topics, beauty and fashion, but I do not feel like I am in the position to write about it myself. It does not come from the bottom of my heart to be honest.
Before this challenge I was used to write less, but about more personal things, things that really moved me.

What I learned
It was fun to try out different things to write about this past month. Some of them worked, some of them didn't. I learned that it is better for me and my conscience to post less frequently, but about themes I personally care about.
This lesson was very useful for my and I enjoyed it a lot, but I think it's time to go back to my old self when it comes to blogging - just with a bit more books. Because I love them. I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment