Tuesday, 7 October 2014

Top 5 Film Picks for Autumn [Blogtober 2014 #4]

Original Picture taken from Unsplash
 Being a bit of a maniac when it comes to films I am always in the mood to spend entire days with my precious DVD's, but my choice largely depends on my mood which in turn is greatly influenced by seasons and the weather (same goes for books by the way).

Now that were at the beginning of Autumn I definitely gravitate to more melancholic and thoughtful films compared to summery, carefree chickflicks. Autumn is the time of the year when I reconnect with my inner romantic - dreaming of rainy days and long walks and that is what my favourite film picks for this season reflect as well.

About Time (2013)

The first time I watched this film was on my flight to Seoul back in February and I was instantly head over heels. Apart from the inevitable plotholes that come with anything that has something to do with time travelling this gem is my personal embodiment of romance.
The music, the atmosphere, Rachel McAdams' wardrobe and the chemistry between the actors is perfection. I was especially surprised by Domhnall Gleeson whom I never found too attactive in the first place, but the way he played his role made him so likeable! At the end I just thought: "Yes, I would marry that guy in a moment!"
Found on Amamorphosis and Isolate
 Pride and Prejudice (2005)

For a more profound adaption of Jane Austen's novel I would of course always advise you to watch the BBC-version from 1995, but to my mind the newer version is still hugely enjoyable. I remember watching it in the cinema 9 years ago (wtf? Time really does fly I guess....) and even now it excites me just as much. The costumes, the nature, the language, everything comes together so nicely.

The Perks of being a wallflower (2012)

This is probably my ultimate "I am in a melancholic mood" film and words can not express how much I cried the first time watching it. It is definitely not a lighthearted, funny film, but on the other side  I do not want to use the word "deep".  I'd rather describe this film as grave and earnest without leaving you with a depressed feeling at the end. It has it's entertaining, even cheerful moments, but at the end of the day it is not the kind of film to laugh at, but to think about.
It is the ideal choice for those evenings when the sun starts to set earlier.
Found on doowewho
 Breakfast at Tiffany's (1961)

Well, what can I say? This is just a classic that I can watch all year round, but what makes it so appropriate for Autumn? First of all there is of course Audrey Hepurn's magnificent wardrobe  provided by Hubert de Givenchy. It is classic, but considering the fact that Holly Golightly already belongs to the early sixties kind of girls, it is also very refreshing compared to the conservative look of the 1950's.
Another reason is of course the fact, that the story is set in Autumn, which apparently seems to be a lovely season in New York.

Charade (1963)

Yes, I am guilty. It is another Audrey Hepburn film, but just like for "Breakfast at Tiffany's" there are obvious reasons for why you simply have to put this film on your "to watch list".
Again, Audrey Hepburn's wardrobe is a dream (perfect fashion inspiration for Autumn), but this time she is accompanied by the most charming Cary Grant. If you ask me I prefer this pairing over Hepburn and Peppard.
Found on celluloidseance
 The storyline of "Charade" involves a lot of surprising plot twists and while there is a bit of suspense going on there are many humorous scenes as well (which mainly derive from the great chemistry between the two main characters).
And honestly:
Who could ever say no to Paris??


What are your top film picks for Autumn?

No comments:

Post a Comment