Friday, 3 October 2014

Thoughts on Wuthering Heights [Blogtober 2014 #2]

 A bit earlier this year I wrote about my impression of Anne Brontë's novel „Agnes Grey“. Afterwards I read „Villette“ by her sister Charlotte and not too long ago I finally finished „Wuthering Heights“ by Emily Brontë after a long, long struggle and of course I do not want to hold back my opinion about this novel.

Until now I have read a lot of books which were mediocre, but but not too bad and other books stood out to me as being particularly good. Sadly, I can't say that about this one, because it turned out to be a real dread for me.
Actually, I can not remember the last time that I anticipated the end of a book so much.
Reading „Wuthering Heights“ meant to me a constant feeling of agitation – something I do not strive for while reading for pleasure, but yes. This book agitated me.

I do not mind the fact that this book doesn't have a very satisfying end to it. For me it was even worse that it seemed impossible for me to feel any kind of sympathy for the characters. As a matter of fact Heathcliff is now holding the first place on my list of „book characters I can not stand for the life of me“. While I don't expect characters to be perfect and an example of immaculate behaviour, I think that a tad bit of common sense is not too much to ask for.

Instead this book seemed to be a mere compilation of hate and malignity with a veil of neverending depression hanging over the head of each character like the sword of Damocles. There was not a single moment of light or wit, just plain egoism and malevolence while each character kept plotting the next trap for the others to impede any chance of potential happiness for them.

To some people this might be a very harsh opinion, but I do not want to conceal the fact that I was quite disappointed with this book, also because I had been wanting to read it for a very long time.

At the end it was my least favourite read from the Brontë-sisters so far and I think that it is a pity Emily Brontë had to die so young before being able to finish a second book.
Wuthering Heights“ was not poorly written. Actually, the descriptions in it were lively and captured the (although quite depressing) mood in each chapter very well. It is just sad that so much talent was wasted on describing so much misery.

Judging by my experiences with the Brontë-sisters I would definitely recommend Villette“ as a first read, but I can't give out a recommendation for „Wuthering Heights“.

However I do not want to end this book talk with so much negativity – which is why I just have to add this Monty Python sketch. It really cheered my up many times while I read this dreadful book.

Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you: The semaphore version of „Wuthering Heights“!


What are your thoughts about "Wuthering Heights" and the like?

No comments:

Post a Comment