Saturday, 25 October 2014

Remedies for a tough night [Blogtober 2014 #13]

Original Picture found on Unsplash
I love a good night of sleep, but there are those nights when it seems to be impossible for me to fall asleep. Sometimes there is a specific reason behind it like an appointment in the morning that I do not want to miss by oversleeping or the first day of work/university after a longer vacation.

But there are also nights when I stay awake for no reason - when I toss and turn hour after hour. It is a dreadful state you can not always overcome. I do not suffer from insomnia, but this is what works for me most of the times when I go through such a tough night.

Writing 
One of my biggest problems is that  have too much on my mind (which is why I started this blog in the first place). I catch myself imagining different scenarios,jumping from one topic to the next. This is where my journal comes into action. I have been writing my thoughts down for about two months now and it has helped me a lot. It helps my to organise what's inside my head and put it into perspective. 

Tea or hot milk 
It is no secret that the warmth of a hot drink tends to create a comfortable and cosy feeling in your belly. I often go for chamomille tea which is also good when you have cramps while you're on your period or milk with honey when I need something sweet.

Reading
As long as it is nothing too exciting reading can be a good medium to make you sleepy. Personally I like to go for short stories or books I already know, so that I do not end up with that feeling of wanting to know how the story goes on.

Stretching 
When I can't sleep I often feel restless as well. A little bit of stretching can help minimize this restlessness by getting the body moving and tiring it without doing too much. You do not want to get into a full workout or else you will rather awaken your body instead of calming it down. Just a few light stretches on your bed should be enough.

As I already said, sometimes nothing seems to work and I end up waiting and waiting for some sleep. So I'm curious:
What do you do when you can't sleep?

No comments:

Post a Comment