Wednesday, 15 October 2014

Favourite Quotes from the literary World [Blogtober 2014 #8]

 Recently I have been a lot into looking for quotes and writing them down. And I don't mean some superficial, supposedly "life changing" motivational one-liners, but extracts from novels or sayings by writers in particulat that I agree with profoundly and appeal to me because of their beautiful language.
I do not collect them in order to create some kind of a new mantra for my life. It is rather a little pleasure I have developed over the past few weeks and which reignited my love for words. On my search for passages that appeal to me I started to read more, think more and feel more. My relationship to books became a lot closer.

I never conciously tried to hurt anyone, yet good intentions notwithstanding, when necessity demanded, I could become completely self-centered, even cruel. I was the kind of person who could, using some plausible excuse, inflict on a person I cared for a wound that would never heal.                                                                                                Haruki Murakami, south of the borders, west of the sun
"When I'm really into a novel, I'm seeing the world differently during that time - not just for the hour or so in the day when I get to read. I'm actually walking around in a haze, spellbound by the book and looking at everything through a different prism."                            Colin Firth
There is nothing more luxurious than eating while you read - unless it be reading while you eat. Annabel did both: they are not the same thing, as you will see if you think the matter out.                                                                                                                           E. Nesbit, the magic world
Found on Pinterest
"I like a lonely walk," I went on "at the end of a day full of people: it's always, to me, on such occasions, quite as if something has happened that the mind wants to catch and fix before the vividness fades. So I mope by myself for an hour - I take strocks of my impressions."                                                                                                              
Henry James, the sacred fount
"There is no surer foundation for a beautiful friendship than a mutual taste in literature." P.G. Woodhouse
I never wish wo offend, but I am so foolishly shy, that I often seem negligent, when I am only kept back by my natural awkwardness. I have frequently thought that I must have been intended by nature to be fond of low company, I am so little at my ease among strangers of gentility.                                                                                                              Jane Austen, Sense and Sensibility
 "When the writing is going well, I can work all day. When it's not, I spend a lot of time gardening and standing in fron of the fridge."                                                                                Francine Prose

What are your favourite quotes?

No comments:

Post a Comment