Thursday, 11 September 2014

self love and knowing your weaknesses

Original picture taken from Unsplash
Nowadays, especially on social media, people like to advertise the concept that "you are perfect the way you are".
First of all I don't think it is wrong to promote self love that way, but I also believe in not closing your eyes from reality and in reality "nobody is perfect" (another popular and probably completely overused phrase). 
To me self love means to acknowledge your positive traits as well as your weaknesses without giving one of these two more attention than it actually deserves. 

Everybody has some likeable features about him/her. They are not always obvious or visible to the eye, but they are there, but a lot of self concious people tend to see only all the things they don't like about themselves.  It is not healthy. It is not healthy to talk yourself into believing that there is nothing special about you. 

For a long time I have struggled with my self-perception and to be honest I am still struggling with it. When you are like me you look into the mirror are not appalled nd you by the way you look. Actually you never even thought yourself to be ugly, but you are also unable to anything special in yourself - neither in your looks, nor in your character and abilities. This left me with feeling like an ordinary, bland dish that is immediately forgotten after being eaten, but over the time I learned to appreciate certain aspects about myself:

"Hm, those freckles are actually kinda cute."
"Your hair looks really nice today."
"That's a really nice pair of boobs you have there, girl!"
This development started slowly and unconciously, but the most important thing is, that I realized that I am "lovable". Friends and family will always tell you that you are beautiful, smart and nice to be around, but as long you don't believe it yourself it is a forlorn hope, even though they are right.
Right now I am at a point where I see certain strong points in myself, but there are many doubts as well, especially when it comes to my personal qualities.

If I had to name my top five weaknesses, they would be:
  •  shyness/ being unable to socialize properly
  •  general idleness
  • Cellulite (yes, I call that a weakness and yes, I know that most of the women have it, but that doesn't make it better)
  •  my little muffin top
  • my nervousness
The good news is that most of these can be worked on, but I feel like getting rid of a muffin top is a lot easier than trying to fight shyness. Mental or emotional problems are always SO hard to deal with! And even though these are not my favourite parts of myself, they do not ruin the entire picture anymore. They are just a fragment, not my entire being.

People will never be perfect. That is for sure and what does perfect mean anyway? After all everybody has got different standards and the ones that are most important are your own.
I for myself made the decision that I do not want my insecurities to overpower my mind and instead try to achieve a more realistic view of myself.

What do you think about self love and how do you deal with your insecurities?

No comments:

Post a Comment