Wednesday, 3 September 2014

Animal Testing in the Cosmetic Industry

It is no secret that most of the big cosmetic companies are in some way or another involved in animal testing. Whether we are talking about high end brands such as M.A.C., Lancôme and Dior or about high street brands like Maybelline, L'Oréal or Rimmel - a lot of them test their products on animals.

While I love reading beauty blogs and watching beauty videos on Youtube, I still can't oppress the impression that this topic doesn't get enough attention. Of course I am aware of the fact that I am in no way an expert, but I do feel like it is my duty to spread awareness in my own way without dogmatising.

The first time I really got in contact with animal testing was a few years ago. By accident I came across the website (in German) of a girl who still dedicates a lot of her time into writing about animal friendly, vegan cosmetics. I was truly appalled when I saw her endless list of companies that test on animals - companies whose products I had used for years.
Even though I had always known about the general circumstances I had never given it a second thought. But this enumeration of brands burned itself into my mind. After that I could not enter the drugstore without feeling guilty whenever I looked at certain shelves. Soon I started to ignore them completely and just went for the brands that were "safe".

Nowadays I rarely feel the urge to even inspect the products of Maybelline and the like, because the thing with make-up and beauty products in general is that it is so interchangeable. Every product seems to have a dupe in at least three other brands, so there at least for me there is no need to buy that particular eyeshadow or this specific lipstick.
That way my selection of buyable products is a bit limited, but sufficient for my purposes.

Naturally I do not want to blame anyone who buys products that are not cruelty free. I can understand it. The only thing that is important to me is that people put a bit more effort into thinking about what they actually purchase.

Also I am not perfect myself. I still use my M.A.C. blushes that I had bought before I changed my mind, because well, they were expensive and I don't want them to go waste. I also buy products from The Body Shop.
The Body Shop itself is cruelty free, but ever since it became a part of L'Oréal I avoided it like the plague until I realised that I might be able to change more once I start supporting branches of animal testing companies that are "safe".
Another big and probably the most argueable exception are perfumes. When it comes to scents I do not look at the brand, mainly because compared to make-up it is not as easy to find a dupe for my beloved Miss Dior Chérie.

Please keep in mind, that this is not a perfectly researched study about animal testing in the cosmetic industry. It is merely my two cents to add to the overall discussion and hopefully it was still interesting for some of you.

What are your thoughts about animal testing in the cosmetic industry?

No comments:

Post a Comment