Thursday, 8 May 2014

Breakfast, Books and a visit to the Cemetery

Recently, my mother came over to stay at my place. We had a wonderful evening with Indian food and Downton Abbey and The Seven Year Itch afterwards, but the next day, was even better.
After a short workout we made our way into the city for breakfast and I have to say, it was so delicious! (And I was SO full afterwards)
Plenty of delicious treats and a mint tea. Perfect start for the day!
Then we had some book shopping on our To-Do-List. Right next to my university is a booksop with a vast collection of books for a very good price and browsing around in there might be one of my mothers' favourite activities whenever she comes to see me. Well, I can't blame her.
This time I went for a few literary classics:
These are the German editions, but most of the time I try to get the original ones
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen - because Jane Austen is always a good idea and I was intrigued by the fact, that this is one of her earlier works. Furthermore I really enjoyed the film version with Felcity Jones.

Agnes Grey by Anne Brontë- Some people might not believe it and think that it is a crime, but I've never read a book by one of the Brontë-sisters before. However I did not want to start with one of the popular classics like Jane Eyre or Wuthering Heights. Instead I decided to go with Anne's novel, because I have never heard much about her work (and I just fell in love with the cover of this book) and it is supposed to contain autobiographic elements.

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald - When I watched Baz Luhrman's hopelessly opulent and exaggerated film, I was in love. My eyes were glued to the scene while my breathing just stopped: too much beautifulness to put it in words. So, when I saw this book in the shop I figured, that it is time to read Fitzgerald's "true"  Gatsby.

Casanova's Memoirs by well, Giacomo Casanova - I got into this topic when I watched the film with Heath Ledger and Sienna Miller in the cinema years back and it is one of my favourites. I have already indulged in several documentaries and read a book about Casanova's love interests. but I have never heard himself talk about his adventures in Venice (the city is the reaon why I love Assassin's Creed II so much), which is why I am looking forward to reading this book a lot.

Now that I look at my list, it almost embarassing how many films I have watched until now without even looking at thecorresponding books (and I have nothing to say to defend myself. Shame on me!).

So, after splurging a generous amount at the bookshop my mother and I made our way to the city's old cemetery which is in fact very close to my apartment as I can see it from my bedroom-window. It was my first time going there, because I wanted to share this first experience with her and let me say:
We were not disappointed.


When we made our way to the cemetery it was a bit cloudy and dark, resulting in the perfect atmosphere to visit a historic sight like that. This one was founded in 1715 and contained graves from the 19th century up to quite recent ones. The atmosphere there is perfect to sit down and read a book, because it is so quiet and almost mysterious. There is so much to see and many of the tombstones and memorials are wonderfully embellished.



Perhaps the most famous grave might be the one of Beethoven's mother which is always kept in perfect condition while others slowly but surely start to fall apart.
The grave of Beethoven's mother Maria Magdalena
Another famous grave is the one for the German composer Robert Schumann, which is beyond beautiful. It portrays Schumann's profile at the top and his wife at his feet looking up at him in devotion.
The grave of Robert Schumann and his wife Clara
 We spend about an hour on this cemetery, but still have not seen everything.It is one of those places you can come back to and discover new things every time. We even saw a few English and Russian graves. So, if you ever get the chance to come to Bonn, you should definitely visit this enchanted piece of earth.

I can already imagine a hand creeping out of this shattered tomb
My favourite piece on this cemetery so far is the memorial for the Prussian soldiers who died in the Franco-Prussian War 1870/71. The two figures on top are so beautiful, that I could barely stop looking at them.
A memorial for the Prussian soldiers
In the afternoon my stepfather, my grandparents and the pugs came over and I got to spend some precious family time with all of them. But in all honesty I enjoyed the time alone with my mother the most, because we were able to do all the things we love together:
Old films, books, food, cemeteries.... (yes, we like old things)

No comments:

Post a Comment