Monday, 14 April 2014

Great Expectations

Recently I went to a party with two very good friends of mine - a so called trashpop party, bringing back all of the good old stuff like the Spice Girls, The Backstreet Boys, Britney Spears and so on.
We had been excited for this evening for weeks. The last time we had had so much fun singing and dancing. It was one of those amazing carefree nights.

To start off the evening we went to a little ristorante to eat some pizza and "create a base" for the drinks that should follow. So, we had a quite enjoyable time just eating and chatting until we finally made our way to the club. We knew, that this particular event was quite popular, so we arrived a bit earlier. Well, we were not the first ones to come along with this idea.

To make a long story short: it was crowded. Crowded to an extend, that it wasn't even fun anymore to dance, because every 30 seconds there was someone trying to pass by, pushing his way through the masses of people.There was always an elbow digging into your side or a strand of hair sticking to yor face (and no, I am not talking about our own hair). Also, the music was not as good as the time before or was it just us?

Because suddenly one of my friends was not in the mood anymore. She was sad, maybe a bit overstrained (she is going through quite a lot of trouble at the moment) and so finally she just sat down and you know how that is: This kind of spirit immediately takes over the whole group. At least I can't enjoy myself once I know, that my friends are not feeling well. At that point it doesn't even matter if they are playing my favourite songs.

We ended up leaving the club early and making our way back home and to be honest I was a bit upset. There had been so much excitement, this uplifting feeling of anticipation beforehand, because of our first visit there and this time it was just disappointing.

Things like this happen all the time. You wait a long time for something to happen, but in the end, it is not the way you expected it. This an be either positive or negative, but  I have the faint feeling, that the second case is more common. A smaller event of this kind was, when I watched the movie "Blade Runner" with Harrison Ford for the first time.
I am not a big fan of Sci-Fi dystopic films, but my expectations were high for this one. In the end it was an entertaining film and it made me think about some things, but something was missing.

Something is always missing. 

I am still planning to go to the next trashpop party at the beginning of May but with another attitude towards it. As another friend put it: "There are other clubs in the area." I think one should not be put off by happenings like that. It is just a way of telling us to get real and to basically get our feet back on the ground.

No comments:

Post a Comment